SOS Hondoq News

Sunday, June 03, 2007

An open letter to the Prime Minister

Published on
http://www.gozonews.com/item/an-open-letter-to-the-prime-minister/ on Sunday June 3rd 2007 by James A. Tyrrell.

Dear Sir,

I am writing this letter to you by way of support for those campaigning against the proposed development at Hondoq ir-Rummien,Qala, in Gozo.

I come to Gozo every year for my annual two week break in paradise, because that is how I see the island. In the course of my life I have been to a lot of places throughout the world, but I have never been to a more beautiful, tranquil and historic place than this tiny island. I love every part of Gozo but nowhere more than Hondoq ir-Rummien. It is like a natural meeting place, a melting pot of nationalities, and indeed last year I spent a lot of time there talking to fellow tourists and local people. I met people from Malta, Gozitans and tourists from all over the world, all gathered together in this beautiful little bay. The very idea that anyone would want to turn this beautiful place into another concrete jungle is beyond belief.

What attracts people like myself to Gozo are the tranquillity, the history, the beautiful views and the Old World charm of the island. In other words the very things, which this project would destroy. Can you honestly say that this makes sense to you? When I come to Gozo each year I don’t stay in a hotel I rent a house. I want to feel part of the island, part of a community and you can’t do that by staying in a hotel. And as the lady who arranges the houses for me would tell you I prefer old houses as they have more character.

It’s my understanding that hotels in Gozo are closing down due to low occupancy rates, so where is the logic in building more? What local beauty spot will be next on the developers list after Hondoq ir-Rummien? And what will happen to all these ghastly developments when the tourists stop going to Gozo because there is no longer anything for them to see?

Of all the residents of Qala who took part in the referendum regarding this proposed development 85% were against it.

I suggest that you take some time to look at the website these people have set up at http://soshondoq.blogspot.com and read some of the 1836 comments which have been left by people not just from Gozo and Malta but from all over the world.

As I said earlier I come to Gozo every year and will hopefully continue to do so until I retire. I say hopefully because whether I do or not depends on the island staying as it is. Because I love the island so much I am hoping to spend my retirement there as well. I met people there last year that have been going back every year for 28 years. I met another couple who have bought a house there and go out two or three times a year. I am therefore asking you, in fact begging you, not as an Qala resident, although God knows you should be listening to these people, but as a tourist and potential future resident to throw your weight behind this campaign to prevent this development taking place.

I know that you care very much about your country. This was evident to the watching world by your recent decision to call a halt to the planned golf course at Ix-Xaghra l-Hamra and stopping the spring bird-hunting season early. I therefore ask you to show the same forward thinking attitude towards your little sister.

Gozo has been described as the Island that time forgot. I urge you to do all you can to keep it that way and not let these developers whose only interest is money destroy it.

Thank you for your time.

Yours Sincerely,
James A. Tyrrell