SOS Hondoq News

Monday, June 21, 2010

SOS Hondoq membership not a prerequisite for opposing the project

Published on the Malta Independent on Sunday 20th June, 2010 by Joe Falzon.

With reference to Dr Xerri’s letter entitled “Never a member of the Save Hondoq movement” (TMIS, 13 June), I would like to state that I have a document showing that the Qala council presented a motion in September 2009 in which the local council, Dr Xerri included, voted unanimously against the Hondoq Project (document provided).

Can Dr Xerri explain this discrepancy between his stand on the issue in September 2009 and his ‘kutrumbajsa’ (U-turn) at the 12 May meeting in which he came out in favour of the project? I am ready to retract what I said if Dr Xerri can provide irrefutable proof – for example, prior to the 12 May meeting, did he write anything to refute the September 2009 motion? Any letter or article to support the project? Everybody knows his penchant for writing, so why the long silence between September 2009 and May 2010? But please, let us not hear this excuse that has become the norm … I didn’t know... I was in the dark even though I attended the meeting... I signed documents but I didn’t read them beforehand...

Regarding the Belvedere project – well, as the Maltese saying goes: (blood is thicker than water!) Still, you didn’t deny its controversy which doesn’t put Mepa in a good light which, in turn, must have shone upon you on 12 May, as it did upon St Paul on his road to Damascus, and Mepa’s doors opened and you heard its celestial voice proclaim “Dr Xerri, why do you persecute me”?

And, by the way, being a member of SOS Hondoq was never a prerequisite for opposing the project.

Remember, Dr Xerri, and this goes for all politicians, the great politician is the one who is able to put aside his / her own interests for the sake of the interests of those who had elected him / her.

So please provide the proof that you were in favour of the project prior to 12 May and I will be more than happy to retract what I have said.