SOS Hondoq News

Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Life and Times of Marie Benoit

Published on The Malta Independent on 8th October, 2006 by Marie Benoit.

I hope you will sign the petition so that developers will leave Hondoq ir-Rummien in Gozo alone. I remember that some four years ago ago several journalists were taken by helicopter and the promoters and their public relations woman tried to sell the idea to them. I remember one of them telling me that the parish priest and people from the village came out with placards and were very angry about the whole project.

I subsequently met the wife of the architect or perhaps one of the architects who was then very enthusiastic about the project, at some launch or another and she spent half the evening trying to sell me the idea. The media should promote it; she said she saw a similar project somewhere in Britain and it was beautiful and so on and so forth. I did my best to be polite but kept on partaking of the canapés so that I would not be tempted to tell her what I thought of the whole idea and her greed of wanting more than she already had, which is I have no doubt, a substantial amount.

Please do your bit for the environment and sign the petition today. I have signed endless petitions in my life always with the hope that they work. I don’t know if they do work or not but let’s give it a jolly good try. We cannot let these greedy developers ruin the little that remains beautiful and tranquil on these islands. We may not win but at least we would have done our utmost:

http://soshondoq.blogspot.com/


Hands Off Hondoq!

Hondoq ir-Rummien, a coastal area and bay in Qala Gozo, is one of the few remaining tracts of open countryside left in the Maltese Islands. The sea in this area boasts some of the cleanest, clearest water in all of Malta and Gozo, attracting locals and divers alike to spend time in this tranquil beauty spot.

It is now being threatened by a proposed development plan to build a five star hotel catering for 170 bedrooms, approximately 25 villas, 60 Self Catering Units, 200 Multi-Ownership Residences, 731 Underground parking spaces ( only 90 allowed for public use), 10 shops, 5 restaurants and a marina for between 100 to 150 crafts. The alternative to this is our aim, to turn the Hondoq area into a national park where everyone can enjoy the beauty of nature.

So help us save Hondoq by signing the petition.

Thank you for your support, please forward this email to your family, friends and collegues for them to visit http://soshondoq.blogspot.com/ and sign the petition too.